Spoiler alert: NARUTO
Okay. Today in Literature class, MTBS showed her essay to my teacher. While it was good with a nice plot and has perfect grammar, he said it was kind of flat with not much emotions involved.
This reminded me of a fiction that I did last year as a birthday fiction for Hyuuga Neji from NARUTO.
I think I'll post it here just because I feel like it.
For people who doesn't watch/read NARUTO, please read this before you read the story or you would not be able to understand the content of the story. People who knows about NARUTO, just read the notes after the story. Go ahead and skip all these long-ass explanations. The story begins when the text changes colors.
1. In the NARUTO universe, Hyuuga Neji and Hyuuga Hinata are cousins from the same Clan. However, Hyuuga Hinata is the rightful heiress to the seat of the next leader of the Clan. The village they reside in is called Konoha.
2. Neji and Hinata's fathers are twins, but Neji's father was the younger brother. Thus, Neji is from the "Branch Family" of the Hyuuga Clan, and Hinata the "Main Family". (So Hinata has a higher status compared to Neji.)
3. In the NARUTO universe, the characters can use fantasy-like techniques such as controlling elements of the nature, or use cursed techniques to kill their opponents.
4. The character Neji has a swastika-like symbol on his forehead. It is the tattoo that symbolizes his status as a branch family member, something to prove that he is of a lower standing than Hinata. (At the same time this is a curse to prevent the branch family from defying the main family.) This curse can be activated by some "spells" that the main family uses and causes a splitting headache and blindness or destroy brain cells in serious cases. (And it's common sense that when too many brain cells are destroyed a person can die from the immense pressure dealt to the brain.)
(Though I'm not into this anime anymore, Neji is hottttttt.)
5. Hinata is the heiress of the family, so it's her duty to marry and have strong offspring which will carry on the family line. She probably can't marry the man that she loves since she has a duty to fulfill. (Note for people who watches/reads NARUTO, if you are actually reading it too just to refresh your memory: I know they probably inter-marry to keep the Byakugan bloodline going but let's ignore that.)
6. Killings were not unusual in the NARUTO universe. Arranged marriage are normal for future clan leaders, too.
7. Hiashi is Hinata's father and the current leader of the Hyuuga Clan.
8a. Katana is a traditional Japanese sword which are sharp enough to cut throught bullets.
b. Shiromuku is the traditional Japanese wedding gown. <span style="font-style: italic;">
c. Kimono</span> is just a long robe that Japanese women wear. <span style="font-style: italic;">
d. Sake</span>-exchange ritual is a formal step to getting married in Japan, like how the Christians need to exchange vows.
e. Haori is sort of like a overcoat in Japanese style. <span style="font-style: italic;">
f. Kunoichi</span> is a female ninja.
g. Hitai-ate are the headbands used in NARUTO as a symbolism of the village of the people. They are normally seen on the forehead, but some people wears it differently such as Hinata and Shikamaru. Below, Neji is wearing the Konoha forehead protector A.K.A hitai-ate.
9a. Suffixes: Nii-san is "older brother".
b. Sama is a honorific for someone of a higher status. <span style="font-style: italic;">
c. Otou-sama/san </span>means father, the first is more respectful compared to the latter.
That's a hell load of explanation, but I hope that cleared things up. Let's start.
Title: Chizome Tsubaki (Blood-stained Camellias as a direct translation.)
Summary: Their love was forbidden, and they will not escape the threads of fate. NejiXHinata
Beta-reader: Sakura Imai Hotaru
Note: This is inspired by a video on Youtube called NejiHina doujinshi, First Love. You can listen to Utada Hikaru's First Love while reading.<p>xXxXxXxXxXxXx
From the day I was born, I already knew my fate was sealed. Being the Hyuuga heiress means that I have to make certain sacrifices.
The crush on Naruto faded, as I found myself getting closer to someone else.
He was my soul mate, my best friend, my first love.
However, the love was forbidden, for he was from the branch house, and I, the main.
Our fates were sealed.
There was no escaping.
The wind blew, and the blooming camellias decorated the path. The rich red color of the camellia reflected in her eyes. The kimono she wore was thick, but it didn't help to warm her much. A stream of cold air followed as she gave a sigh.
Fingering a Nanohana, Hinata smiled gently at it. 'A spring-flower blooming in winter? It must be strong…' She couldn't help but wish she was just like it.
"Hinata-sama," The voice was familiar.
"Neji-nii-san." She greeted quietly, standing up to face her approaching cousin, her face flushed from the cold.
"You shouldn't be here. The wedding ceremony is in a day's time." His forehead was bare of the hitai-ate, though the seal was hidden beneath layers of bandages.
There was a moment of hesitation.
"I… I don't feel that he is right for me." Lavender eyes focused on the frozen lake - her reflection looked back at her.
The man seemed startled. "Hinata-sama, what are you saying?" His eyes were hard.
"… I… Don't think I am good enough." She looked away and down – meeting red.
"You… You are very pretty," The all-seeing Hyuuga eyes missed the slight widening of her orbs. "If I was in another position, I'd surely…"
He did not need to continue; a grievous smile made its way onto the woman's face.
That was enough.
In the outstretched hand laid a hitai-ate.
"Hinata-sama, despite being so busy, you still helped me mend this?" He took the hitai-ate.
The gentle rays reflected off the steel on his forehead.
She took a few steps away.
"Next time…" A breeze swept up her long hair, the camellias filled the pathway. The silent words were carried away. "Okay?"
With one last genuine smile, she turned and ran as fast as she could in the restricting kimono.
"I didn't hear that clearly…" He looked away. "Oh well."
He took the opposite way back.
She wasn't feeling a bit of happiness even though it was her own wedding.
'It had to be done.' She had known that since she was born.
Her hand closed over her left breast.
So… Why did she feel such a painful ache in her heart?
The wedding will begin soon.
Almost everyone attended.
Everyone in the Hyuuga family of course.
She looked absolutely breath-taking in her shiromuku. However, the face of the bride wasn't a joyous one.
The sake-drinking ritual had begun.
The wedding bands were exchanged.
Hiashi nodded with approval.
He needed a breather.
Heading outside, he glanced at the sky.
It was clear.
The sign of a Konoha ninja was removed from its rightful place.
The hitai-ate was held in his hands, the inside facing him.
His eyes widen.
How could he not notice it before?
Something was happening.
Ignoring the fact that she wasn't supposed to meddle in the Hyuuga affairs on her wedding day, she had a feeling that if she didn't follow her heart, she'll regret it forever.
Rushing down the corridor – her white dress trailing behind her – she slid open the door.
A person was lying on the ground. His frame was familiar, too familiar.
Clutching his head, he was screaming in total anguish.
Her father stood across them.
"Otou-sama! Stop it!" She knelt by Neji.
He doubled over.
"Otou-sama! Please, stop it!" Teardrops landed on Neji's cheek.
Finally, the struggling stopped.
The hitai-ate wasn't present on his forehead – where could it be?
The brown material peeked from underneath Neji's haori.
It all became clear.
"Neji… Neji-nii…" It was all but a susurration.
"Hi… Hi-na-ta… sama?" He couldn't open his eyes.
Tears overflowed, "Otou-sama… Please, please spare him…" The lavender eyes could not be seen behind closed lids.
Hiashi looked unimpressed.
"I will not tolerate such nonsense. He is of the branch house; you will marry someone of equal standing!" Hiashi barked. He wasn't pleased, not at all.
"Oto-" A murmur stopped her protest. "Hi… Hinata… I'd rather die… Don't, don't beg him."
He started coughing violently.
This wasn't good. Neji will die if he doesn't get into a hospital soon. Very soon.
She felt useless; she couldn't do anything to help the one that she loves.
Tears littered the tatami ground.
"You will go back to your husband, now." White eyes narrowed, Hiashi wasn't one who tolerates disobedience.
"…No." It barely made a whisper.
"No. I want to be with Neji." She was firm, he was all she wanted.
"You dare disobey me!" Hiashi was beyond furious.
The clock on the wall ticked away.
"…" He sighed. "Go."
Both of them stiffened, Neji tried to open his eyes.
He wanted to confirm that Hiashi was serious.
It wasn't a joke, was it?
"Just go." Hiashi turned away.
Hinata cried, but this time, it was tears of happiness.
She never looked as beautiful as now.
She needed to hurry, her husband would soon discover that she was missing at the wedding reception.
"Thank you, father." Supporting Neji on her shoulder was tougher than she thought, but she was a kunoichi.
It was his final gift to her.
"Neji… We need to get you to a hospital." She pleaded.
"… I know my own body; I'm going to die, Hinata." A smile.
She wiped her tears away.
They were at the lake.
"Hinata… Go back, and live on. Promise me…"
She shook her head.
"Please… They will be here soon."
He was almost begging. Hyuuga Neji never begged.
Her heart shattered all over again, from the time she knew about the marriage, to Neji's waning life.
It was too hard for her to accept.
There was the sound of hurried footsteps.
Apparently heaven doesn't favour her.
Blood rushed upwards.
Her teeth were stained red; the ground was covered in blood – her blood.
In the middle of the puddle, the silver wedding ring danced.
The pure white gown was stained a sinful scarlet.
Neji lay beside her, in her arms.
"Neji…" She drew out his hitai-ate.
"Will yo-" She chocked on her own blood, "Fulfil th- the promise?"
The smaller hands were encased by bigger ones.
"Should we kill them?" A rough voice asked.
"They ran away from the Hyuuga house, they're criminals!" It was Hinata's betrothed husband.
He did, too.
The katana blades glinted in the dusk light.
The camellias bloomed.
The hitai-ate fell from Hinata's grip –
When we're reborn, please marry me.
Please read because this is important.
10. Neji wanted to say "shimata" which is somewhat like "Shit" or "Darn" when this ("Shimat-") came up.
11. Red camellias represent true love. I had originally wanted to use yellow camellias, for they represent longing but, they are not located in Japan so I couldn't put it in. Therefore I chose the second one – Red camellias.
12. When we're reborn, please marry me.
- This was embroidered in hiragana on the underside of Neji's forehead protector. (It's kind of ironic since he was wearing it against his skin yet he didn't realize it until the last minute.)
(For people who don't know, hiragana is the most basic kind of Japanese text.)
I wonder... If you felt sad too?<p>That was a longggggggg post.